Wednesday, August 08, 2007

THINGS THAT GO "OH NO! IN THE NIGHT"

I was woken up at 4.15 last night/ this morning by Emma walking all over my legs and feet. I leapt out of bed grabbed her up and took her into the garden. (Her bowel movements are very unpredictable these days) I stood in bare feet and waited for her to 'do her duty'. I carried her back into the bedroom and put her on the foot of the bed. It was then that my nose told me that I had not woken up in time! I did three trips to the bathroom holding hands full of yukky toilet roll . All this by the light of a torch, so as not to wake Arthur up! I trundled back downstairs to get a cloth and my salvation, the OxiAction carpet spray. When I opened the kitchen door again, there was Willum and Boomer cornering a poor little field mouse! By now it was gone quarter to five! I caught the cats and locked them out in the utility room, and then proceeded to catch the mouse. I was so tired I was working on auto pilot as I'd only has three hours sleep. I tried every thing to catch the poor creature who looked terrified. I used my trusty empty wall poster tube, a fluffy duster and a long woody flower stem from my vase. He wedged himself in a corner behind some pipes and I couln't budge him. I decided to leave him to calm down while I cleaned the bedroom carpet. So, by the light of my trusty torch, I sprayed the offending stain and sat on the edge of the bed to wait the required 5 minutes. Arthur was still fast asleep and quite unaware of my sufferings! I duly rubbed and scrubbed at the stain and got rid of about threequarters of it. It was difficult to see by torchlight, but it wasn't quite gone. I put the cloth in the sink in water to soak while I went downstairs to remove the mouse. I searched all over the kitchen, but he had disappeared. I was so tired I could hardly keep my eyes open. I'm afraid I said (under my breath) Alright you silly creature, I've done all I can to help you, now you'll have to take your chances. I let Boomer back into the kitchen. Willum had gone out into the night, presumably to look for a replacement mouse! I dragged my poor aching bones up the stairs yet again, calling in at the loo one last time, and went back to bed. It was 5.30 and daylight was coming through the bedroom curtains! Please God, let me have an unbroken night tonight!

7 comments:

Babs (Beetle) said...

Oh see I said pets bring sadness - sometimes it's because of the problems they bring us too! I expect you will sleep like a log tonight :O)

weechuff said...

You must have felt like nothing on earth! Thank goodness you can have a lie in without any worries:0) I do hope they behave tonight, and that they didn't catch the poor little mouse again.

granny grimble said...

no signs of mice this morning dead or alive! I think that I would have found the odd leg or tail if they had caught it! I hope it didn't die of fright behind a cupboard! I shall be going to bed at 12 tonight, and hopefully sleep till I've had eight hours.
Did any one see the programme on Altzheimer's tonight ?

weechuff said...

Oh, I forgot! I wanted to see it as well. I don't suppose anyone recorded it?

Croom said...

Oh Leeta, you do make me laugh, I know I shouldn’t but it is your fault. Poor you, you do keep your patients don’t you. That must come from having twins ;O)

I truly felt sorry for you, I hope all goes well tonight and you sleep like the cats probably did after you cleaned and scrubbed for them!

I do hope your nose doesn’t tell one day, that the mouse did not get free after all lol

Arthur’s turn tomorrow.
Tina Spain. xx

Gary said...

Oh man! Still, a mother's work is never done. As the lady of the house it is your job to clean up after your children (and the odd husband!)I hope you don't get many night's like that again. :0(

Jeanette Spain said...

Oh Leeta hope the poor little thing got away somehow.
Fingers crossed for a good night tonight.
Jeanette Spain